Utility Customer Service Specialist
Under general supervision, plans, performs utility billing, cashiering, and related customer service functions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Opens and processes daily mail; posts utility payments; and processes receipts for various permits.
- Provides phone and personal assistance to customers regarding various questions and/or concerns; assists customers with new accounts, service termination, refunds and related topics; prints copies of bills for payment purposes; and provides information regarding other City services.
- Assists delinquent customers; arranges payment plans; generates delinquent reports and service disconnect notices; and develops service orders for disconnects.
- Prepares daily work orders for meter technicians to conduct field work; responds to two-way radio calls from technicians; and data enters completed work orders.
- Balances a cash drawer for water and permit payments; and balances checks and credit cards.
- Prepares daily deposits.
- Processes returned checks with insufficient funds; and contacts customers to resolve situations.
- Prepares monthly activity reports.
- Processes refunds; and updates accounts.
- Maintains waste disposal spreadsheets weekly; and provides updates as necessary.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Principles and practices of utility billing.
- Principles and practices of basic accounting/bookkeeping.
- Principles and practices of effective customer service.
- Business and personal computers; and spreadsheet software applications.
- Handling situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness, and sound judgment.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Understanding and applying City policies and procedures.
- Explaining City policies and procedures.
- Handling money.
- Performing high volume data entry activities with a high degree of accuracy.
- Performing basic mathematic calculations with extreme accuracy.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School diploma or equivalent; AND one year of experience in utility billing operations and/or customer service; ORan equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: December 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM CST