Utility Customer Service Representative II
Under general supervision, provides advanced-level customer service to utility customers and processes incoming revenues into the cash receipting system.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Answers a variety of utility customer inquiries
- Resolves service/usage discrepancies in person, on the telephone and online
- Assist with processing new applications for water, sewer and solid waste through all channels
- Assist with processing termination request for water, sewer and solid waste through all channels
- Assist with processing all vacation hold requests for solid waste.
- Assist with updating customer data into customer information system
- Assist with entry of field service orders
- May operate a cash drawer, counts and prepares drawer for final reconciliation of checks, cash and credit card payments.
- Assist with complex High Usage inquiries
- Assist customers with registration and navigation of City online portal including resetting of passwords
- Calculates billing adjustments to resolve processing issues and submits for approval and entry above established threshold
- Manage delinquent accounts to include creating notices and disconnection service orders
- Issue credit card void or refund request
- Evaluate Leak adjustments request including calculation and responding to customer
- Compile and prepares statistical reports for management
- Assist department Supervisor with call calibration and standards
- Assist department Supervisor with Training
- Provide input into the employee evaluation process
- Assume a leadership role if required
- Primary liaison for lockbox vendor and payment exceptions
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements:
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent and three (3) years of high-volume telephone or business office customer service experience, preferably in a utility environment. Other combinations of education and experience that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- City policies and procedures.
- Utility customer service functions, methods, principles, techniques, and procedures
- Principles of record keeping and records management.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software including Office 2010.
- Cash handling and cash drawer balancing procedures.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Keyboarding with a minimum of 40 wpm and 10-key by touch.
- Make basic mathematical calculations and draw logical conclusions.
- Maintain a high level of attention to detail over extended period of time.
- Multitask with numerous and frequent interruptions.
- Maintain a professional and courteous demeanor, utilizing excellent customer service and communications skills.
- Research and analyze accounts to be able to explain their status to customers.
- Interact with coworkers, management staff and other City employees to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Special Requirements: None
Physical Demands / Work Environment: Standard office environment
Reports To: Utility Billing Supervisor
Supervision Exercised: None
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Closing Date/Time: Continuous