Motor Vehicle Specialist (Customer Service I)
A career with Johnson County is more than just a job, it is an opportunity to serve a diverse and expanding community in meaningful ways. We challenge ourselves to be a different kind of government because we care deeply about our community and each other. Committed to our shared values, we provide excellent public service, seeking always to improve ourselves and our organization. We offer wonderful benefits, retirement plans, wellness incentives, a great organizational culture, and much more! If you are searching for something more than just a job, something akin to a calling, then consider the challenge and opportunity of becoming a member of Johnson County Government.
The Motor Vehicle Division is responsible for the collection and distribution of fees, sales tax, and personal property tax for the State, County, Cities, and other taxing authorities that levy taxes and/or fees. Johnson County Government has two motor vehicle locations for walk-in customers, one location for back-office functions and 68 employees that provide service to over half a million county residents.
If you are looking for a rewarding experience, then consider joining our Treasury, Taxation & Vehicles Department as a Motor Vehicle Specialist. The Johnson County Motor Vehicle divisionis currently seeking qualified candidates formultiple open Motor Vehicle Specialist positions.
* New Motor Vehicle Specialists hired on or afterNovember 1, 2021, are eligible for a $500 sign-on bonus to be paid in two increments. Employee will receive $250 after successful completion of New Employee Orientation and Motor Vehicle Training program. The employee must be employed when the incentive is paid, and it will be paid on the first pay date following the pay period in which it was earned. Employee will receive $250 after successful completion of first six months of employment. Employee must be employed when bonus is paid, and it will be paid on the first pay date following the pay period in which it was earned.
- Assists customers in completing all types of motor vehicle transactions by reviewing documentation for accuracy and completion; performing data entry into computer systems; proofreading information
- Answers detailed questions about titles, registrations, renewals, and other motor vehicle-related inquiries; determines and communicates motor vehicle requirements with customers; answers inquiries by researching, locating, and providing desired information
- Assists customers with completing routine forms when appropriate; collects forms and any supporting documents, reviews for accuracy and completeness; copies, collates, and routes forms to appropriate locations or staff
- Resolves problems by clarifying issues; researching and exploring answers and alternative solutions; implementing solutions; and identifying and escalating unresolved problems appropriately
- Calculates and collects fees for payment; resolves a variety of basic customer complaints, problems, and billing disputes; completes preliminary audit of cash, credit cards, and checks collected
- Maintains acceptable levels of customer service while achieving standards for accuracy, productivity, and cash handling
- Follows up and communicates with customers as needed; educates customers on self-service options for transactions and encourages use of these options
- Serves as an ambassador as needed by greeting customers, answering questions, reviewing documents for completion and accuracy, and encouraging and assisting in the use of the self-service renewal kiosk or drop-off service options
- Performs other duties as assigned
These positions will be based out of either the Olathe Motor Vehicle Office or the Mission Motor Vehicle Office.
Applications for this job will be accepted until filled.
A high school diploma or equivalent is required. A valid driver's license and acceptable driving recordare also required.
One year of customer service, cash handling, banking, cashiering, or relevant experience is preferred.
A bachelor's degreeandexperience in regulatory industries such as in finance, pharmaceutical, and insurance are also preferred.
Experiencecan substitute for education. Education can substitute for experience.
Occasional (less than 5%)
Management, Administrative, Technology, and Financial Services