Customer Services Supervisor
As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose--serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
The Customer Service Supervisor's primary duties include performing administrative work in coordinating activities in the Utility Billing division assigned unit/division and supervisory work in training, assigning and overseeing the work of Customer Service Representatives.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and evaluate performance standards with employee input.
- Assist in the development of procedures, policies, records, forms and reports, including financial and customer service statistical information.
- Monitor and analyze daily refunds to customers
- Prepare and monitor daily production reports.
- Answer more complex metering/billing issues as they arise.
- Interpret departmental/divisional policies and procedures, City Ordinances, City Council actions and State laws for customers, the public and others.
- Assist in development of staff through training programs, follow-up coaching and evaluation of training effectiveness.
- Supervise subordinate employees engaged in customer service functions.
- Deal directly with the public and/or other City staff in person and over the phone in giving out general information, answering questions, explaining procedures, and pertinent information regarding problems and complaints.
- Perform activities related to processing customer requests.
- Complete other duties and special projects as assigned.
Working Conditions: Normal office setting with constant exposure to computers.
Required Qualifications: Minimum Education:
High school diploma or GED
Three years of customer service experience performing duties similar to those noted in the job duties listed above
Previous supervisory experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience MAY be considered.
A resume is required. Please attached an updated resume to your application.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Drug and Alcohol Testing:
All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer, resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
This position is Non-Represented .
The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire three months after it has been established.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge with the processing of refunds and NSF.
- Considerable knowledge of Federal Laws, State Statutes and City Ordinances governing accounts receivables.
- Good working knowledge or prior experience with cash receipting and deposits.
- Working knowledge of collection activities including the special assessments process.
- The ability to keep complex records and make detailed reports and statements.
- The ability to meet and deal with others tactfully and effectively.
- Good working knowledge of computers, computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access, computerized public information and reservation systems, phone systems and standard office equipment.
- Skill in word processing accurately at a speed of 45 correct words per minute preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, assess customer needs and resolve problems.
- Ability to organize workload and prioritize multiple tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment, adapt to changing conditions and situations, and to maintain confidentiality in work-related matters.
- Ability to remain composed and professional in difficult situations.
- Ability to identify basic issues and respond appropriately and independently.
- Ability to manage employee performance-related issues.