Customer Services Representative
The Modesto Irrigation District is currently recruiting to fill one full-time regular position in the Customer Services Department, Finance Division to handle customer inquiries including billing, payment and collection functions and problems, and perform typical clerical and related customer service duties in a courteous and professional manner using various tools and computer information systems.
Any qualified individual may apply . This is a non-exempt position and is allocated to the Administrative, Technical, and Clerical Bargaining Unit. The list established as a result of this recruitment may be used to fill other Customer Services Representative vacancies that may occur within the District through November 9, 2024.
**Please be advised that a typing certification verifying a minimum of 35 words per minute (wpm) will be required of all qualified applicants in order to continue in the recruitment process**
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Within the Call Center, Billing, and Cash Accounting, effectively and efficiently interact and answer inquiries from customers, district personnel, and other agencies
- Receive and record customer payments and provide accurate change, balance cash drawer and prepare bank deposits
- Prepare a variety of reports including customer correspondence, billing updates and adjustments and write-offs
- Complete a variety of requests and work tasks pertaining to service orders, billing, collections, data entry and month end closing; process bankruptcy filings and creditor claims
- Prepare accounts and schedules for disconnections and notifications
- Dispatch field calls
- Use related P.C. software.
Bilingual Only: Perform the above duties in both English and Spanish.
Other Related Duties
Other related duties include: Obtain information from DMV and verify accounts for payments in department computer system; other duties as assigned
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the necessary knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the education, experience and knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Three (3) years in a public contact/customer service environment desirable with one (1) year in a utility customer service environment preferred.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of good customer service including dealing with hostile customers; electric meter functionality.
- Ability to prepare all required clerical documents in a clear, complete and accurate manner; make correct change and accurately prepare receipts; observe district safety rules, motor traffic laws, and read and interpret rules and regulations.
Special Requirement: Possession of a California Class C driver's license.
Qualified applicants must submit a completed District application no later than 5:00 PM on Tuesday, November 22, 2023.
Applications will be reviewed on a comparative basis and only those most qualified will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an overall assessment of the individual's skills through (1) typing 35wpm (as evident through typing certificate); (2) written exam; (3) oral interview; (4) practical exam; and (5) contacting of references to include current and former supervisors. The applicant must perform successfully in each phase of the recruitment in order to continue in the selection process.
Applicants requiring necessary accommodations to the application process may contact Human Resources at (209) 526-7341. California Relay Service is available at (800) 735-3933 voice and (800) 735-2929 TDD. The Modesto Irrigation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE VERIFICATION OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED AND APPLICABLE HIGHER EDUCATION DEGREE, PASS A MEDICAL EXAM INCLUDING A DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREEN, AND A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK.
INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
For a complete list of MID Benefits, please refer to the following: http://www.mid.org/careers/benefits.htm
Closing Date/Time: 11/22/2023 5:00 PM Pacific