Customer Service Supervisor – Escalations
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus five (5) years of experience providing customer service, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This Supervisor position handles complex tier 2 escalations received from various channels within the City. Work includes in depth investigation and analysis of metered utility accounts, researching usage, verifying rates, problem solving, investigating anomalies for possible causes and resolutions, creating detailed and comprehensive spreadsheets and documents to present utility usage and costs, preparing written and oral summaries, and initiating, authorizing, and/or processing billing adjustments and account corrections in accordance with established procedures.
This position is also responsible for coaching and developing a team, completing call handling and performance audits, developing, revising, implementing standard operating practices, policies, and procedures for the section/division, and managing assigned utility projects. Determining goals/objectives/resource requirements for activities within the division. This position to also provide leadership, guidance, and technical advice to other key personnel.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
Fair Labor Standards Act:
- This position is considered FLSA Exempt. Exempt employees are salaried and, except as provided, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
Related Work Experience:
- For this position related work experience includes: Handling complex tier 2 escalations. Providing direct one on one expertise to customers. Case management. Creating spreadsheets to present facts. Conducting account audits and researching anomalies. Preparing written summaries to present to customers/management. Coaching and developing a team and monitoring performance metrics. Managing assigned utility projects. Providing leadership and guidance to other key personnel. Audits accounts and authorizing/processing billing adjustments. Partnering with other City departments. Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practices, policies, and procedures for the section/division. Call handling and performance audits. Determines goals/objectives/resource requirements for activities within the division.
$24.92 - $32.40
Monday thru Friday, varying from 7:00am to 6:00pm.
Will require possible nights/weekends/holidays during outage response/incident command.
Schedule is subject to change to meet business needs.
Job Close Date 02/28/2021
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 721 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, Texas 78704
- Experience with metered utility (electric, water, gas) call center
- Experience with CC&B
- Experience coaching and developing a team of direct reports
- Experience handling complex tier 2 escalations relative to metered utility accounts. (electric, water, gas)
- Quality assurance experience in relation to call handling and performance audits
- Experience Identifying and implementing performance goals.
- Experience developing/revising policies and procedures
- Experience troubleshooting/problem solving relative to metered utility (electric, water, gas) accounts
- Experience auditing utility accounts, researching usage, determining average consumption, verifying rates, problem solving, and investigating anomalies for possible causes and resolutions.
- Experience partnering with other City departments and staff to ensure customer utility issues are addressed and resolved.
- Bilingual English/Spanish, preferred.
- Intermediate or better with Microsoft Excel.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Resolves customer conflicts and provides options to ensure customer satisfaction.Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practices, policies, and procedures for the section/division. Determines goals/objectives/resource requirements for activities within the division.Oversees billing collection and payment arrangement functions.Reviews and approves account documentation.Provides technical advice and assistance to employees, city management, contractors, and citizens.Coordinates division activities with other divisions and departments.Ensures all Citizen Assistance Forms are assigned to respective sections and processed within set deadlines.Prepares financial summaries, performance measures, data, and reports for management review.Plans, develops, implements and conducts on-going education and in-service training programs.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of rate structures, utility usage, and conservation methods.
- Knowledge of utility conservation methods and procedures applicable to commercial, industrial or residential uses.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to calculate services and rate classification for commercial, industrial or residential applications.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus five (5) years of experience providing customer service, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity. Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.Do you meet these qualifications?
* Describe your experience handling complex tier 2 escalations relative to metered utility accounts. (electric, water, gas).
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience identifying and implementing performance goals related to employee development. In which position(s) listed on your application did you gain this experience?
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience coaching and developing a team of direct reports in a call center environment. In which position(s) listed on your application did you gain this experience?
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience developing and revising policies and/or procedures in a call center environment. In which position(s) listed on your application did you gain this experience?
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience monitoring customer interactions and providing feedback to employees. In which position(s) listed on your application did you gain this experience?
(Open Ended Question)
* Select the statement that best describes your English/Spanish bilingual fluency level.
- I speak both English and Spanish fluently
- I speak some Spanish
- I understand some Spanish
- I am fluent in English only
* This position is categorized as an Essential Personnel position. Essential Personnel are required to come to work during emergencies and/or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and in some cases when they are not scheduled. Can you work this schedule as required?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents