Customer Service Supervisor
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus five (5) years of experience providing customer service, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
The Customer Service Supervisor position is responsible for supervising the staff operating a 24/7 dispatch call center, (the Austin Water Customer Service Center), including handling phone, radio calls and email requests from internal and external customers with emergency and non-emergency issues pertaining to water and wastewater assets maintained by the City of Austin. In addition, this position is responsible for overseeing the logging of customer calls, funneling service requests to the right operations work group, quality control and documentation of work performed by all CSR's, having knowledge of City of Austin procedures as well as Austin Water procedures. This position is also responsible for call center data, employee training and coaching, running reports and maintaining standards.
Teleworking and Alternative Work Schedules are available, after initial training period.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter, candidates should describe in concise detail their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job - specifically Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel - will be assessed through skills testing with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
- Additionally, your skills in business writing will be assessed through a written assessment.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- A criminal background investigation is required.
- All Austin Water employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee's duty and responsibility to the Department.
- Austin Water must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with Austin Water, as well as current Austin Water employees considering secondary employment.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite - including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$27.90 - $34.17
9:30AM-6:00PM Monday - Friday.
This is an Essential Position, requiring on-call availability and mandatory service in certain situations. All shifts may be required to work overtime, on-call, weekends, nights, holidays, and during bad weather events. Work hours may be subject to change at management's discretion based on business needs.
Job Close Date 06/07/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Glen Bell Service Center, 3907 S. Industrial Blvd.
- Experience in a utility or similarly regulated entity and/or experience dispatching service crews using 2-Way Radio Base Station, or other type of radio communications.
- Knowledgeable in the operation and support of a high volume inbound 24/7 call center and experience managing complex employee schedules including approval of employee leave and ensuring adequate coverage to meet business needs.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with other departments or units within an organization to meet business objectives, experience communicating a clear vision and strategic direction for employees and providing training to meet performance goals.
- Experience developing and implementing team performance measures, tracking metrics, and identifying performance gaps to improve quality of service, database experience and the ability to collect data in a variety of formats, data entry, and produce reports.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated experience in planning, organizing, and working with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Resolves customer conflicts and provides options to ensure customer satisfaction. Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practices, policies, and procedures for the section/division. Determines goals/objectives/resource requirements for activities within the division. Oversees billing collection and payment arrangement functions. Reviews and approves account documentation. Provides technical advice and assistance to employees, city management, contractors, and citizens. Coordinates division activities with other divisions and departments. Ensures all Citizen Assistance Forms are assigned to respective sections and processed within set deadlines. Prepares financial summaries, performance measures, data, and reports for management review. Plans, develops, implements and conducts on-going education and in-service training programs.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of rate structures, utility usage, and conservation methods.
- Knowledge of utility conservation methods and procedures applicable to commercial, industrial or residential uses.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to calculate services and rate classification for commercial, industrial or residential applications.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus five (5) years of experience providing customer service, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity. Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet these requirements?
* How many years of experience do you have dispatching service crews using two-way radios, mobile radios, radio consoles, or any other type of communication systems?
- Less than 1 year
- 1 - 3 years
- 3 - 5 years
- More than 5 years
* What supervisory experience do you have? Select all that apply.
- Performance Evaluation
* Do you have experience handling complex customer issues and resolving escalated customer calls and/or emails?
* Do you have experience coordinating, collaborating, and working effectively with other departments or units within an organization?
* Do you have experience developing and communicating a clear vision and strategic direction for employees, as well as providing training to employees to meet performance goals?
* Do you have experience developing and implementing performance measures, tracking metrics, and identifying performance gaps which would improve quality of service?
* Do you have experience with collecting data in a variety of formats, data entry, data analysis, and producing reports?
* This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Check.
* Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee's full name.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents