Customer Service Specialist (521172)
Under supervision from the Sr. Director, Customer Service, this position serves as the first point of contact for students, staff, prospective students and faculty experiencing login, navigational or processing difficulty with enterprise computer systems.
The incumbent responds to service desk inquiries and analyzes reported problems resolving many of the basic issues and logging service desk tickets to technical and functional staff to resolve those requiring more expertise.
- Assist Senior Staff provide customer login support information to SJSU students, faculty and staff
- Assist in monitoring data and appropriately troubleshooting customer service issues.
- Collaborate with Service Desk team to route issues appropriately for fastest resolution.
- Assist with scheduling training rooms as needed and responding to customer questions regarding services.
- Provide assistance to ensure customers can access data regarding SJSU and solve minor processing issues.
- Assist with analyzing, resolving, and routing helpdesk phone calls and emails.
- Provide general directory assistance, route calls and provide in-person assistance to customers.
- Determine appropriate category for resolution, log, route and track trouble tickets using iTicketing system.
- Follow up on open and overdue service desk tickets.
- Monitor common problems and work with Senior Staff to determine if additional documentation is needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to troubleshoot basic help desk inquiries
- Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide appropriate support
- Ability to write and speak clearly using proper grammar
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborate and support projects
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Ability to learn new systems
- Basic knowledge of software applications: word processing, spreadsheet, database management
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with customers
- Ability to communicate clearly to a diverse group of customers
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Experience providing customer service support
- Experience in a University or college environment
Classification: Information Technology Consultant - Foundation
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,000/month - $4,500/month
CSU Salary Range: $3,713/month - $7,149/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 17, 2022 through November 30, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com.
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled