Customer Service Representative, Sr.
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally-owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
We have a unique opportunity for a Customer Service Rep, Sr. in our Customer Operations Department. This is a new position in new customer facing group with a new focus. This department will be handing complex billing issues and working closely with other departments to resolve customer issues impacting billing. This work will require the successful candidate to learn and understand all aspects of customer fulfillment from meter installation through collections. There will be a heavy emphasis on customer communication and follow-up requiring written and oral communication skills.
The successful candidate will be a strong customer advocate who is able to make decisions based on given parameters and to communicate options to customers in a positive, professional and accurate way. This position will perform inbound customer service as well as customer outreach to proactively address issues.
This posting may also be used to fill subsequent positions of the same class within Customer Operations. Applicants should understand that actual job duties and department assignment may change as needs of the business and our customers evolve.
This position will report to the Utility Account Supervisor.
Here is more about what you'll be doing:
This position will interact with external customers via phone (inbound and outbound), email, regular mail or other manner dictated by customer need.
• Respond to customer inquiries regarding complex issues.
• Work cooperatively with other departments to resolve customer issues.
• Proactively reach out to customers with issues who have not contacted us.
• Take ownership of the customer's problems and proactively seek solutions.
• Use skill, procedure, precedent and judgement to decide the best course of action to resolve customer issues.
• Assist with work organization, tracking and reporting workflow and completion.
• Other Duties as assigned and appropriate for Work Classification.
Required Qualifications:In addition to the skills and experience mentioned above, a successful applicant will have experience that reflects a commitment to creating fair and equitable outcomes and has:
Three years of progressively responsible collection or related direct customer service experience which includes the equivalent of one year of experience as a Credit Representative, and/or a combination of education and/or training and/or direct customer service experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class will be considered. Work is performed in an office environment. Work involves dealing directly with customers who may be upset, angry and/or abusive. May be required to work outside of normal shift in the event of an emergency, such as an unscheduled power outage.
Desired Qualifications - You will be successful if you have the following experience, skills, and abilities:
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Basic math skills.
- Analytical and decision-making skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Experience with Oracle CCB/MCMS/MDM software.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, currently telecommuting.
- Work involves dealing directly with customers who may be upset, angry and/or abusive.
- May be required to work outside of normal shift in the event of an emergency such as an unscheduled power outage.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Please submit the following with your online application:
- A cover letter in which you clearly describe how your knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities prepare you for the job responsibilities and qualifications outlined in the job announcement
- A current resume of your educational and professional work experience.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the qualifications. Seattle City Light values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Seattle City Light encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences.
Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process including the completion of a background check. The background check will involve a criminal history check, which includes conviction and arrest records in compliance with the Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance , SMC 14.17 and the City of Seattle Personnel Rule 10.3 . A driving history review may be conducted in compliance with SMC 4.79.020 . Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: http://www.seattle.gov/light/ .
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 12/13/2022 4:00 PM Pacific