Customer Service Representative – Solid Waste
WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist.
OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under general supervision, this position provides direct customer service related to solid waste services and other division duties. This position operates in a fast-paced environment and is responsible for responding to a heavy volume of telephone calls and emails. A high level of integrity, dependability, good communication skills, and a strong sense of urgency with proven results is expected. Accurate decision making and multi-tasking is required. Utility billing experience is preferred. Spanish speaking skills are preferred.
Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates the customer service desk in a detail-oriented manner; ensures proper understanding of inquiries and concerns; asks for clarification to deal with each issue promptly and accurately to resolve customer questions and/or concerns and complaints.
- Handles heavy volume of telephone calls and emails in a prompt, efficient manner.
- Provides customer service follow-up on issues previously registered.
- Provides general clerical assistance to division staff to include contractor monitoring and records, utility account and property research, code compliance technical support, etc.
- Assists the public in obtaining information about division programs.
- Maintains and updates databases, spreadsheets, records, and files.
- Establishes and maintains credibility by providing timely and accurate results.
- Provides professional service to customers, external, and internal.
- Performs special projects at the request of supervisor, to include research and recommendations.
- Complies with City policies and procedures to include work schedule and attendance policies.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains a safe, clean office environment.
- May be required to travel to run errands, pick up and deliver reports, mail, and supplies.
- Able to work some evenings, weekends, holidays, and during adverse weather or emergency events.
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates
- Demonstrate control and a pleasant demeanor in challenging situations.
- Ability to enter, maintain, update, and retrieve database information.
- Ability to utilize a variety of data sources to include City policies and other sources as needed.
- Ability to analyze utility accounts, databases, and develop an approach to problem resolution.
- Knowledge of basic Microsoft Office including Outlook and Excel.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Ability to speak and deal tactfully with others and exhibit a willingness to share information.
- Ability to speak and deal effectively with difficult customers in a manner that ensures adherence to the requirements and protocols of the City's code of ordinance.
- Exercise sound judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in various situations.
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements.
- Strong communication, both oral and written, and negotiation skills when responding to customer requests.
- Knowledge of basic solid waste programs and services.
- Knowledge of customer service and public relations techniques.
- Demonstrate a collaborative and flexible style and ability to work under time pressure.
- Effective communicator with strong oral and written skills.
- Ability to work under time pressures and problem solve.
- Operation of standard office equipment.
High School diploma or GED required. Successful candidates will have two (2) years of customer relations experience which reflects a progression of responsibilities. Must be able to work some evenings, weekends, holidays, and during adverse weather or emergency events.
Selected applicants may be tested on the following: data entry skills and logical thinking patterns as related to solid waste operations scenarios.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
- Utility billing experience is preferred.
- Spanish speaking skills are preferred.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks require visual/sound perception/discrimination and oral communications ability.
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
The City offers a full complement of benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Medical and Childcare Account (FSA)
- Mental Health Care and Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- City-paid and VoluntaryLifeInsurance
- City-paid and VoluntaryLong Term Disability Insurance
- Supplemental Insurance through Aflac
- Legal Services through Legal Shield
- Tuition Reimbursement (up to $10,000 per year)
- Wellness Program (earn up to $600 per year)
- Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
- Mandatory 7% employee contribution
- City match 2:1
- 5 year vesting
- Retire after 20 years of serivce, or age 60 with 5 years of service
457(b) Deferred Compensation PlansPaid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Vacation (80 hours per year for new hires; tieredincreases after 2 yrs)
- Sick Leave (135 hours per year for yourself and immediate family)
- Ten Paid Holidays
- Personal Day
- Optional compensatory time for hourly employees
For more detailed information, please see the City of McKinney's summary of benefits .
Closing Date/Time: 11/24/2023 5:00 PM Central