Customer Service Representative I
As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose-serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
The Customer Service Representative I will provide a variety of services to customers over the telephone and/or in-person answering questions, providing information, collecting fees and payments, etc.
The City of Minneapolis Public Works Department currently has one opening for a Customer Service Representative I at the Minneapolis Impound Lot.
Work Location - This position currently works on-site only.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Specific Job Duties for Impound Lot positions:
• Answer phone calls reporting stolen vehicles and requesting tows.
• Verify the accuracy of the tow reports and ensure accuracy of officer's paperwork.
• Inform owners and lien holders that impounded vehicles are subject to sale at auction if they fail to claim vehicle.
• Assist in the verification of accuracy of the forms submitted by contract 'towers'.
• May assist in visual checks of conditions and contents of vehicles, assigning of space, etc.
• Prepare a variety of notification letters regarding impounded cars.
Customer Service Duties
• Fill out forms, determine charges/fees and/or penalties for services requested or received.
• Receive payment and releasing of vehicles to the proper registered owner, prepare receipts, and help owner locate vehicle if not at Impound Lot.
• Respond to calls from the public and/or Police Officers requesting information on impounded vehicles.
• Research City, State and Federal databases to establish ownership of vehicles, etc.
• Perform data entry into City, State and Federal computer software for impounded vehicles.
• Entering and clearing stolen vehicles in the state computer (NCIC); running registrations on incoming vehicles; dispatching tows for Police/Traffic Control; taking police holds off vehicles for investigators.
• Knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws.
The eligible list created from this exam will be used to fill Customer Service Representative I positions as they become available in other departments within the City.
Minimum Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: Two years of clerical experience, which has included computer experience and customer service experience
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Selection Process: The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
Background Check (Police): The City has determined that a thorough Minneapolis Police Department criminal background check is necessary for positions with this job title. Applicants must sign an informed consent allowing the City to obtain their criminal history information in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be considered for the position.
Drug and Alcohol Testing: All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing drug and alcohol testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer, resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
Union Representation: This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the AFSCME General Unit (CAF) . For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit:
Eligible List Statement: The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire two months after it has been established.
Interview Selection: The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of City Ordinances, State Laws and departmental polices, processes and procedures related to the Impound Lot.
• Good analytical skills to review, isolate and assist customers at the window or in the role of AutoDesk.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure of high-volume customer inquiry and complaint workloads.
• Ability to work independently and access customer needs.
Our employees enjoy competitive salaries and generous benefits. We pride ourselves on a comprehensive benefits program that supports employees' health and financial well-being.
Programs, resources, and benefit eligibility varies based on position, average hours worked, location and length of service. For detailed benefits information, pleasevisit the benefits page .
New 12 weeks of paid Parental Leave.
City employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave in the event of a birth or placement for adoption of a child.
Eligibility for benefits begins the first of the month following employment date. The City of Minneapolis offers eligible employees one plan design with a choice of six provider networks, allowing you to select the best option for you. Available plans include Medica Choice Passport, Medica Elect, VantagePlus with Medica, Park Nicollet First with Medica, Ridgeview Community Network powered by Medica, and Clear Value with Medica.
The City of Minneapolis offers dental insurance through Delta Dental of Minnesota and pays 100% of the monthly premium for eligible employees.
Paid time off
Our generous leave package includes vacation, holidays and paid sick leave, which gives employees the opportunity to enhance their quality of life outside work. Amounts and accrual rates are based on years of experience and collective bargaining agreements .
City employees earn a pension and may choose to participate in additional retirement savings programs.
- Pension: The City of Minneapolis participates in the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). Employees and the City both contribute a percentage of your pay to fund future benefits.
- Deferred compensation : Employees may choose to participate in pre-tax or after-tax savings plans through the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
Eligible City employees may choose to participate in the following transportation programs:
- Metropass: The Metropass program allows eligible employees to enroll in a pass for unlimited bus or light rail rides at a discounted price.
- Parking or Van Pool: The City of Minneapolis Transportation Benefits Plan gives you options to pay certain commuting costs--such as qualified parking and van pool expenses--with pre-tax dollars
Learning and development
To engage and develop employees, the City of Minneapolis offers classes in leadership, cultural agility, change management and more. Additionally, educational discounts at Augsburg University, Hamline University and St. Mary's University of Minnesota are available to City employees.
Employees can also take advantage of optional life insurance, flexible spending accounts, the Employee Assistance Program , technology discounts and more.
Closing Date/Time: 9/26/2023 11:59 PM Central