Customer Service Representative I
As the largest and most vibrant city in the state, Minneapolis depends on purposeful, dedicated and innovative employees. Minneapolis has a large variety of careers for people of all experiences and backgrounds who come together for a singular purpose-serving the residents, businesses and visitors of Minneapolis.
The Customer Service Representative will provide a variety of services to customers over the telephone and/or in-person answering questions, providing information, etc.
Work Location - This position currently works on-site only at the Eastside Maintenance Facility.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Answer questions regarding services provided and assist with customers' needs primarily over the telephone and by electronic correspondence.
• Send notifications on fees or fines, request adjustments concerning billing for services rendered and/or make recommendations to appropriate personal for investigation or action, prepare change of address records, etc. in accordance with ordinances, statutes and policies.
• Key information into computers such as work orders, work order responses, tags and reports and maintain records of customer service requests and complaints.
• Investigate and resolve customer inquiries or complaints on services received.
• Examine various records, such as bills and related documents and correspondence to facilitate completion of required paperwork and/or obtain facts regarding customer inquiries and complaints.
• Analyze pertinent information to determine accuracy of customer complaint and determine responsibility for error.
• Make adjustments on complaints concerning billing or service rendered and/or refer and make recommendations to appropriate personnel for investigation or action and follow-up as necessary.
• Interpret ordinance, policies, procedures and rules of solid waste collection to residents that inquire
• Other general office duties as assigned.
Working Conditions: Normal with constant exposure to computers
Minimum Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalent
Minimum Experience: Two years of clerical experience, which has included computer experience and some customer service experience.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
Selection Process: The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
Background Check: The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Union Representation: This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the AFSCME General Unit . For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit: https://www2.minneapolismn.gov/government/departments/hr/labor-agreements/afscme-general-unit/
Eligible List Statement: The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire one months after it has been established.
Interview Selection: The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of City Ordinances, State Laws and departmental policies, processes and procedures related to area assigned, i.e., utility billing, licenses, solid waste & recycling, etc.
• Thorough understanding of assigned department's computerized system and supporting PC network system to effectively perform transactions in a variety of functional areas.
• Good analytical skills to review, isolate and correct discrepancies in customer accounts.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure of high volume customer inquiry and complaint work loads.
• Ability to work independently and assess customer needs.
Our employees enjoy competitive salaries and generous benefits. We pride ourselves on a comprehensive benefits program that supports employees' health and financial well-being.
Programs, resources, and benefit eligibility varies based on position, average hours worked, location and length of service. For detailed benefits information, pleasevisit the benefits page .
New 12 weeks of paid Parental Leave.
City employees are eligible for up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave in the event of a birth or placement for adoption of a child.
Eligibility for benefits begins the first of the month following employment date. The City of Minneapolis offers eligible employees one plan design with a choice of six provider networks, allowing you to select the best option for you. Available plans include Medica Choice Passport, Medica Elect, VantagePlus with Medica, Park Nicollet First with Medica, Ridgeview Community Network powered by Medica, and Clear Value with Medica.
The City of Minneapolis offers dental insurance through Delta Dental of Minnesota and pays 100% of the monthly premium for eligible employees.
Paid time off
Our generous leave package includes vacation, holidays and paid sick leave, which gives employees the opportunity to enhance their quality of life outside work. Amounts and accrual rates are based on years of experience and collective bargaining agreements .
City employees earn a pension and may choose to participate in additional retirement savings programs.
- Pension: The City of Minneapolis participates in the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). Employees and the City both contribute a percentage of your pay to fund future benefits.
- Deferred compensation : Employees may choose to participate in pre-tax or after-tax savings plans through the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
Eligible City employees may choose to participate in the following transportation programs:
- Metropass: The Metropass program allows eligible employees to enroll in a pass for unlimited bus or light rail rides at a discounted price.
- Parking or Van Pool: The City of Minneapolis Transportation Benefits Plan gives you options to pay certain commuting costs--such as qualified parking and van pool expenses--with pre-tax dollars
Learning and development
To engage and develop employees, the City of Minneapolis offers classes in leadership, cultural agility, change management and more. Additionally, educational discounts at Augsburg University, Hamline University and St. Mary's University of Minnesota are available to City employees.
Employees can also take advantage of optional life insurance, flexible spending accounts, the Employee Assistance Program , technology discounts and more.
Closing Date/Time: 5/30/2023 11:59 PM Central