Customer Service Representative
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus two (2) years of experience in billing, credit counseling, or customer service.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
- This position reports to the Residential Utility Contact Center ( UCC ) Team. The UCC is the primary point of contact for the City of Austin's residential customers for move requests, billing inquiries, payment arrangements, customer disputes for services, fees, and rates. We are also Austin Energy's contact for outage and emergency response for all citizens. Our Residential group has 14 teams that handle the 1.6 million annual interactions for commodities such as Water, Electric, Drainage, Transportation, and Austin Resource Recovery.
RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE : This position requires a max of 1-hour commutable distance. This position has the opportunity for remote work. Customer service experience is defined as interactions with internal and external customers/consumers in face-to-face and voice platforms to aid and resolution with products or services. Billing and credit counseling is defined as experience with explaining billing and credit questions to customers as it relates to utility service. Utility service is defined as electric and water utilities.
A high-volume contact center is defined as supporting over 1 million annual interactions.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Resumes will not be accepted and statements such as "see resume" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
$22.40 - $25.48
Monday- Friday; 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.,
Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Additional work hours and shifts for emergency response and incident management based on business needs.
Job Close Date 11/13/2023
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Energy
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 4815 Mueller - Austin Tx, 78723
- Experience working in an inbound call center and familiar with call center technology and functions (i.e. Avaya, Genesys or other telephony systems).
- Experience with residential or commercial utility processes.
- Experience with Oracle's, CC&B or any other billing system.
- Ability to maintain regular and predictable work schedule of 12 pm to 9 pm.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Receives by email, fax, or phone, inquiries from customers, contractors, and other city departments. Resolves customer issues with one call resolution. Answers customer requests or inquiries concerning services, products, billing, and equipment. Verifies customer account and active services using various databases and software applications. Researches customer account information to explain services, charges, and adjustments. Logs customer complaints, creates service requests, and routes to the appropriate department(s). Maintains and files all generated service requests.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May train others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of billing procedures.
- Knowledge of good customer relations practices.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation from High School or equivalent, plus two (2) years experience in billing, credit counseling, or customer service. Do you meet these requirements?
* Do you have experience working in a high volume inbound call center?
* Do you have experience assisting customers with Electric or Water utility processes?
* Do you have experience with Oracle CC&B or other utility billing systems?
* This position requires a 12pm to 9pm Monday through Friday schedule with mandatory rotational weekends. Are you able to work this schedule?
* Are you bilingual in Spanish and English?
* Are you currently an employee of Apple One assigned to Austin Energy?
* This position is classified as an "essential" position. The candidate must be able to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Shifts may change according to departmental needs. Are you able to meet these schedule requirements?
* This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful CBI to be hired.
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Check.
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents