Customer Service Representative
Do you excel in fast-paced, performance-based environments? Do you think on your feet and have a knack for figuring out answers to challenging questions? Are you flexible and able to ride out challenges and contribute towards customers' satisfaction and your team's success?
The Department of Finance and Administrative Services (FAS) is seeking a friendly and detail-oriented Customer Service Representative to serve the community at neighborhood Customer Service Centers (CSC) throughout Seattle. The CSC program provides an accessible means for conducting city business as well as building community by providing the opportunity for in-person transactions.
This position requires working at multiple Customer Service Centers around the city, making flexibility and the ability to travel to various locations essential to success. In addition to weekday hours, the CSCs operate on Saturdays. The successful candidate will be scheduled to work Saturdays and will have two consecutive days off.
Finance and Administrative Services (FAS) is the backbone of the City of Seattle and a dynamic organization comprised of eleven divisions and 450+ employees that provides $375 million a year in services to the City through an exciting portfolio of lines of businesses . FAS is a collaborative workplace with collective accountability to promote equity, respect, civility, integrity, inclusiveness and fairness for all employees.
- Provide excellent front-line customer service in public community service centers.
- Process payments for utility bills, parking tickets, Municipal Court, pet license renewals, and U.S. Passport applications using an on-line remittance system.
- Resolve complex customer issues.
- Balance daily receipts and cash drawers and prepare cash bank deposits and associated reports.
- Provide information and referrals on recycling, conservation, energy assistance, voter registration, other City programs, and human service providers in the community.
- Participate on the team at the Customer Service Centers, which includes traveling between facilities to help coworkers with workload.
One (1) year of clerical experience involving customer service and public contact in a call center environment.
( Or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work may be considered.)
License, Certification, and Other Requirements:
- United States Citizenship (as required by 22 US Code 219) for eligibility to process U.S. Passport applications - this is an essential function of this position.
- C urrent State of Washington driver's license or the ability to obtain one by the time of hire.
- Working knowledge of a Microsoft Windows environment and experience with a Windows-based billing system.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate effectively with diverse customers.
- Prior experience respectfully interacting with homeless and/or mentally ill populations is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and creatively solve problems.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Cash handling experience.
- Conversational language skills in other languages that broadly represent the City such as Spanish, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Somali, Tagalog, or Korean will be highly valued.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Work involves dealing directly with customers who may be upset, angry and/or abusive.
- May be required to work outside of normal shift in the event of an emergency situation.
The full salary range for this position is $28.31 - $31.70 per hour.
For optimal consideration, please include a cover letter and resume with your application.We encourage you to use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This position requires onsite work. Alternative Work Arrangements and hybrid telework schedules for work conducted in a normal office environment may be considered and will be based on operational needs and consistency with FAS policies.
Background Check: Applicants must successfully pass a background check, which will be conducted in accordance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be given a chance to explain or correct background information and provide verifiable information of good conduct and rehabilitation.
Why work at the City of Seattle?
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our perspectives and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in the Race and Social Justice Initiative by working to dismantle racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and provide equitable processes and services.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/26/2023 4:00 PM Pacific