Administrative Council Services Coordinator
Location: US-VA-Tysons (McLean)
Job ID: 2023-0059
# of Positions Type: 2
Category: Administrative/Clerical - Administrative Assistant
Administrative Council Services Coordinator
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 77,000 pilots at 42 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks a Council Services Coordinator for our Tysons (McLean), Virginia office. Council Services Coordinators (CSCs) provide direct service and assistance to local council representatives and officers, i.e., the CSC is the initial contact for all needs and ALPA services. CSCs handle tasks such as planning meetings and events, processing council correspondence, coordinating artwork, purchasing requests, and, facilitating other administrative requests to ensure the success of the elected officers they support. Each pilot group's local council officers have their own primary point of contact (POC) CSC, as well as backup support from the other CSCs when their primary CSC is unavailable.
Based in the Association's national office, the CSC provides primary support for elected officers who do not have out-based staff and they support/guide out-based staff who may need assistance, ensuring a smooth flow of communication from council representatives to their members, with MEC officers, and providing contact with appropriate Association staff. CSC customer service enables council representatives and officers to efficiently and effectively perform their responsibilities while adhering to ALPA policies and procedures, as provided for in ALPA governing body documents. As a CSC, they establish and maintain accurate and complete records and conscientiously respond to events and situations as they arise, always and pragmatically representing the pilots and ALPA with a professional demeanor, especially in stressful and/or potentially stressful situations.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, neurodiversity, genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as outlined in federal or provincial laws. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience, with some post-secondary education and/or college course work preferred.
- Minimum of two years working with computer systems in a business environment required.
- Customer/member service experience strongly preferred.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Ability to work independently, without close supervision, and provide administrative solutions to various issues as they arise.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational and follow-through skills with the ability to handle multiple detailed tasks simultaneously while under deadline pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, required.
- Ability to resolve conflict and constructively and diplomatically handle difficult situations.
- Effective interpersonal skills for interaction with member pilots and employees.
- Able to work flexible schedule on short-notice as needed.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position; move about the office; determine what others have said or written; and, converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and the local metropolitan area. May also include occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). Sporadically and/or while on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage and/or boxes weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
ALPA offers competitive salaries with terrific benefits, including:
- 401k Plan with Non-Elective Employer Contribution of 11% plus 2% into a Market-Based Cash Balance Plan after 180 days of employment. No employee contribution required! The 401k plan includes a Roth option and 4-year vesting schedule.
- Generous health care benefits on day one - PPO, Kaiser (where available), and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
- 15 days paid vacation and 12 holidays per year plus 2 volunteer days per year;
- Generous sick and bereavement leave;
- Competitive parental leave;
- Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts;
- Retiree health plan;
- Education Assistance Program; and,
- Optional benefits including pet insurance, excess life insurance, legal plan, and qualified transportation fringe benefits, where available.
Relocation not provided.