311 Customer Service Agent
The City of Sacramento requires all newly appointed employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
You must have taken and passed the 311 Customer Service Agent examination for further consideration. To take the examination, click here .
THIS JOB POSTING WILL AUTOMATICALLY CLOSE UPON THE RECEIPT OF 500 APPLICATIONS
AT THE FINAL FILING DEADLINE, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.
With supervisor approval, incumbents may be eligible for intermittent remote work; however, they must physically reside within the State of California with the ability to report to Sacramento-based physical worksites daily if required.
Under general supervision, performs a variety of customer service duties in support of the 24/7 operations of the 311 Center, including responding to requests for information and service and dispatching calls for service; performs research and provides thorough and accurate information regarding City services, procedures, and resources; maintains logs of every transaction using multiple, independent software systems; and performs related work as required.
This is the journey-level class in the 311 customer service series. Incumbents at this level are capable of performing the full range of call taking and dispatch support duties in support of the 311 Center. Positions at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. This class is distinguished from the 311 Customer Service Specialist in that the latter is responsible for more complex and higher-level technical customer service work, exercises a higher level of discretion and independent decision-making, and provides technical and functional direction to lower-level 311 support staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Depending on assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receives and evaluates calls from internal and external customers requesting information on City services, procedures, activities, resources, and programs in support of the 24-hours-per-day/7-days-per-week 311 Center operations; provides information and assistance in an efficient manner.
- Assesses nature or urgency of the issue; determines and establishes priority of call; resolves the issue or escalates and/or transfers call to appropriate staff as necessary.
- Identifies the type of service being requested by listening, asking relevant questions, evaluating information obtained, and determining City services available to successfully handle the request.
- Creates or researches customer information in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system; records information on all customer inquiries or problems; provides updates on previously created cases.
- Follows system and department-specific procedures to create service requests and work orders in specialized department software systems.
- Conducts research using various City and public resources to provide customers with complete, accurate, and thorough answers to requests for information, inquiries, and/or problems.
- Dispatches calls in accordance with established procedures and policies using a computerized dispatch system, including determining priority of calls and contacting and sending appropriate response unit.
- Observes and complies with departmental policies and procedures, customer service quality standards, and compliance guidelines.
- Participates in on-going training and cross-training opportunities; stays abreast of changes in the operation, policies, and procedures of City departments that affect services provided.
- Works with Language Lines service to communicate with non-English speaking callers.
- May respond to 311 email and web requests for information.
- Other related duties may also be performed; not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual holding this classification.
- Principles, practices, and techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public and City staff.
- Modern call center practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications, including Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software and dispatch systems.
- Basic principles and practices of research and record keeping.
- English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
- Take and process a high volume of customer service calls in a professional and efficient manner.
- Maintain composure under stress or high volume calls/demanding environment.
- Multi-task by handling a variety of calls, taking information from caller, entering data into appropriate software systems, and/or dispatching for service.
- Understand a customer's request/question, identify and research the correct response/action to address the issue, and communicate the response to the customer.
- Learn and understand the organization and operation of the City as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Learn, interpret, and apply administrative and various departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain accurate record keeping and tracking systems.
- Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Operate call center equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Three years of customer service experience, including two years in a call center environment.
Possession of a High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard and to operate standard call center and office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives while interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Employees must complete twelve (12) months of probation at a satisfactory performance level prior to gaining permanent status.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline or upon receipt of 500 applications, which ever occurs first ;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and/or past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
- Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position.
- If you're requesting Veteran's credit, a copy of your DD214 must be submitted online with your application or sent to the Employment Office by email/fax or mailed by the final filing deadline or upon receipt of 500 applications, which ever occurs first. Information regarding the use of Veteran's credit can be found in the Civil Service Board rules under rule 4.9C.
- Applicants are responsible for attaching a copy of their DD214 to each position for which they apply.
2. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail)- All applications received by the final filing deadline will be forwarded to the hiring department for review. The hiring department will select the most competitive applications for further consideration. Human Resources will only evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications, as stated on the job announcement, for applications selected by the hiring department.
3. Online Exam: (Weighted 100%) - Candidates must have taken and passed the online examination with a score of 70% or higher by 11:59 p.m. on June 1, 2022 for further consideration. The online examination will be job related and may include, but not limited to, the knowledge and abilities as outlined above. Candidates can access the examination at any time by visiting the City of Sacramento's Examination's website: http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities/Civil-Service-Examinations.
4. Eligibility: Candidates who pass the online examination will be placed on the eligible list. The hiring department may contact candidates for interview at any time during the life of the one-year list. Candidate's eligibility expires year from the date of notification of a passing score for the 311 Customer Service Agent examination. Candidates can take the examination at any time to maintain eligibility.
- If you are currently on an active eligible list for the 311 Customer Service Agent classification, it is unnecessary to retake the examination.
- The eligible list is effective one year from the date of passing the examination for the 311 Customer Service Agent .
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting; and provide proof of receiving a complete COVID-19 vaccination. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Applicant Support at (855) 524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities
- Send an email to email@example.com or
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726